Riley and I’ve got into this routine lately where we get our butts out of bed on Saturday morning, which usually takes me coaxing Riley with breakfast, then we head out for a morning date. I would have never thought I’d like morning dates as much as I’ve enjoyed the last few months of this routine. It comes easy now that we haven’t been traveling and most of our Saturday mornings are free. When we get back from our date, it’s usually noon or a little after and we still feel like we have Saturday to spend on projects at home, some extra work, or time with friends.
I’ve got a list of different dates we’ve been on this fall. Some obviously haven’t been during the morning, but they were dates that I loved so much that I knew I had to share them.
Riley and I now live next to our best friends and as I was writing these date ideas, I realized we went on all of them but one with Ben and Debbie. I get to see another side of Riley when I watch and interact with him when he’s interacting with Ben. I know he’d say the same about me as I interact with Debbie. Anyhoo… here are the dates we went on.
- Star gaze on the lawn. We have this walking and biking path near our home. So during the harvest full moon, we took off on a late night walk. After the walk, we didn’t want to go inside because of the beauty of the moon and the calm of the weather. With the help of my natural bug spray and a large comforter, we laid down on the lawn, snuggled up to our spouses and talked about God. How can anyone look at the stars and the moon and not talk about God? I’ve done it since I was a child. The sky screams His glory.
- Go to the farmers market. Fall produce is probably my favorite thing for this season. The farmers market is full of squash, pumpkins, apples, radishes and lettuces. Riley and I went by ourselves one morning. We made some coffee at home, got dressed all cute and headed off downtown where the market is at. We would like to go every Saturday morning, but we don’t. So this is a special occasion for us and we bought a few extra treats – mine was lamb tongue – and called it a date. We are spoiled in Lawrence because we have a mercantile that’s open all week long with local goods.
- Pick something at a local farm to celebrate the harvest season. I recently posted a blog about when we went to a pumpkin patch. I’d also love to go to an apple orchard or even a vineyard to pick some fruit. It makes you appreciate the season more when you get to be a part of the harvest that feeds the world.
- Have a bonfire and drink some wine. There isn’t any way better to relax and have good conversation than sitting next to a fire on a cool autumn night enjoying some wine.
- Take a day drive to see the trees and their new colors. Our last date involved going to the lake to see all the beautiful trees. We took Ben and Debbie’s dog, Kai, and he jumped right in the water. The lake is so close and so beautiful it’s a shame we don’t go more often.
What are some dates you’ve been on lately this fall?