It’s Riley’s birthday and like I’ve done for the last two years, I’ve got a gushy list of “I love you, Riley”s to share. Be advised, if you aren’t into the emotional lovie-dovies between a man and his wife, this post isn’t for you. Well, quite frankly, this post is mainly for Riley. But, in part, it’s for you, because I want you to see how much I love my husband, how great he is to me, and for you to give glory to God through Riley’s example of unconditional love towards me because he’s learned it by God’s example through Jesus.
That said, grab a cup of coffee and read up and rejoice about love.
For the last year, I’ve kept a note on my phone where I’ve typed out times I’ve felt extraordinarily loved by you. I think you knew this was coming, because I did it last year. Don’t be fooled though, it’s not the same ol’ letter as your 28th Birthday. In the last year, things have changed. I’m not talking about just the physical, because, babe, gray hairs… that’s a big thing! I’m talking about our oneness. I’ve got more to say because I appreciate you more the more I know you.
I’m thankful that each year we are more vulnerable with each other, given more opportunities to trust each other, and thus becoming more one.
So, for your 29th Birthday, here are 10 things I love and appreciate about you, babe!
- That gray hair though! While no one else would know you have it, it’s so little, yet you noticed. This says many things about you. It’s says you can roll with the flow of life and make the best of it. I think your first comment was, “Margo, when my hair is all gray, I can dress hipster and still be taken seriously.” Because hipster + young = childish BUT hipster + old and gray = respect. **laughing and shaking head** Makes sense to me.
- You have the skills and resources to make anyone great. When you stayed up until the early hours of the morning after a very long day, without being asked, to help Ben prepare for the worship service he was doing the next morning, it hit me like a ton of bricks how incredibly generous you are. You are rich in skills, that’s no secret to anyone. When you see an opportunity to help someone do their thing well, you don’t hesitate to help them. Then, as that person does well, you require no credit or glory. It’s clear to me that you want others to succeed.
- I can’t think of a time I had a task that you weren’t willing to help me complete if I asked. You clearly see your skills as my skills. On top of that, you freely teach me what you know.
- You are both strong and gentle. You are person that is capable of getting what you want with strength, however, you have compassion and understanding of others needs above your own and you strive to make that your priority. You and I both would admit this is something you’ve grown in and are learning well!
- You care about my thoughts, interests, and suggestions. I know how busy you are and how little time you have to devote to other’s thought and interest. So when I know that every article I send your way, you read and engage me in a conversation about it, because you value me. It’s evident you want to think together, being one even in thought.
- I love you’re adventurous spirit! If I named all the times you pushed the normal in our lives, I’d write all 10 points about you being adventurous but I won’t. One time I recall you recently being adventurous (and because I have a picture of it) was tea staining the bed spread. On the adventurous scale, that doesn’t compare to climbing a mountain, but it’s the continual small things where you challenge the normal and make our lives interesting and fun that I adore. To say only our small adventures is not to mention that we adventured too hard once while climbing a mountain and nearly died (ironically, your adventure saved us, too). You range on all scales of adventure and it’s fun!
- You are busy yet without complaint. Everyone knows you are task driven to the core. Your capacity for work astounds me, yet you are without complaint. In fact, you enjoy it. But the part that is really impressive is that when I take you away from task and into relationship you go willingly and enjoy it. Several times this year while I’m sure you had multiple deadlines, you still went on a walk with me because I asked. These walks had no purpose other than to walk and be with you, but you did it joyfully even though you knew you’d lose sleep as a cost for this time spent. Countless times this year you’ve done this for me!
- You are fearless in your aspirations yet if they fail you are not broken. I love that you love to dream and pursue your dreams. Lots of times you achieve your dreams, and lots of time you don’t. Most impressive to me is that when you fail, you are not in despair. I also know that’s because you know your largest hope in life is already accomplished and secure in Jesus. That’s to be together with God and live a perfect eternal life in God’s kingdom. And all you strive for is within that hope on this earth.
- You love me unconditionally. At 4.5 years of marriage, you continue to show your steadfast love for me as your wife. When times are tough, you work through it and draw closer to me. I tear up at the thought of your love for me – I deeply trust your commitment and love. whhhew – the tears no doubt came writing that simple sentence! Surely, only God and I will understand this!
- Lastly and most importantly, I love that you believe in Jesus and abide in him. With Jesus as your example, you love others well! Thank you for loving God with all your heart, mind, and soul
Happy 29th Birthday, love!